Sunday, March 13, 2011

permissible or beneficial.

I feel an invitation in this season of my life to go places with the Lord that I have not yet touched. I have the desire to lay things down for the sake of knowing Him. Hebrews 12 talks about laying aside everything that hinders & running the race with perseverance.

The theme overflowing in my heart is not the giving up of sin, but rather, the giving up of the permissible.

The Lord began speaking to me the other night about being one of the beneficial & not the permissible. This comes from 1 Corinthians 10, where Paul says, "all things are lawful (permissible) for me, but not all things are helpful (beneficial); all things are lawful for me; but not all things edify."

My thought process is usually regarding what areas of sin I need to get rid of, not what areas in my life aren't sin, but aren't pushing me in the direction that I want to go with God.

I feel challenged & exhorted to move on this conviction.

I have spent the last week or so seeking the Lord on areas of my life that are hindering my loving Him. It's crazy to me how much "fluff" I have in my life that has nothing to do with God, and definitely does not push me towards Him. But I notice the good things too, things that have benefit but ALSO have some area that I would call "neutral". It's not pulling me AWAY from God, but it's not pushing me towards Him either.

Facebook, for example. I've been wrestling with it, because it's a major distraction to what I know I'm supposed to be doing during my day. But I just couldn't justify getting rid of it because it brings so much good... it's a way for me stay in contact with old friends & family, a way to get to know new friends, a way for me to keep people involved in my girls' lives through pictures & at times, a way to encourage others & be encouraged myself. The ONLY negative is that it is, at times, a distraction. After wrestling over this for a few weeks, the Lord spoke loud & clear... and my heart knew the truth. Do I want to keep all of those good things in my life (through Facebook) but not give the Lord what He is worthy of? my time. Even if it's 5 MINUTES of my day that I should be giving to Him, it is worth giving up, for one simple reason. HE IS WORTHY.

This is not a blog on "why you should all get rid of your facebook" it's just me being vulnerable with where He is taking me right now. I know it's not "radical" to give up facebook per-say, it's just one of the steps I'm making to move towards my life being a life of the beneficial.

"Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ" Philippians 3:8

Make this my reality, God.

kK

2 comments:

  1. Katie,

    you have an incredible gift with words that stir to the core of human desire. I found the ache in my heart for the Bridegroom increasing reading this post. May I say a big "Thank You." You and your husband are truly champions that I look to for inspiration often. Blessings on those gorgeous girls of yours too! Miss you guys in CO...

    May my life move into more of the beneficial only category.

    Until He Comes,
    Clint Wolcyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie!
    Lately I've been struggling with what to do in those areas that aren't wrong...but they're just not quite right either. This post just spoke to my heart and was exactly what I needed to hear. God used it for His glory in my life :)
    Blessings,
    Hannah Tutt

    ReplyDelete